Kris Boomer amp

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: A-99
Radio: Pierce Simpson and S

Kris Boomer amp

Post by 973Kid »

I have been away from any serious base set up for many years. I have been going through all the gear I have and some that I bought at auctions in the last few years so I have what may be a stupid question. I love tube equipment so the radio I am setting up is a Pierce Simpson Guardian that I havr talked barefoot about 30 miles with an a-99 on a 25' push up pole. I also have a Kris Boomer amp that I picked up from an old guy who was going into a nursing home. His son got mad because he sold me the amp for $10 because I conversed with him for like 30 minutes about how much I like the tube rigs.

So the question is can I use the Boomer on 11 meter because on it there is a sticker that says that it is for 6 and 10 meter only and all other use is unlawful. I understand the law but is there a reason that this unit wouldn't run with my Guardian?

[ Post made via Samsung Galaxy S5 ] Image
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Re: Kris Boomer amp

Post by 443 Arizona »

sure but i think your going to have a drifting problem that will amplify into 2nd and 3rd harmonics and become a spurious squeeling mess unless you are a good tech.
i dont want to pee on your plans but what you want to do is going to be tough with old equipment.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

What model Boomer is it? It most likely is set for 11m, for 6m it would need a change in the tap location. It would be fine behind the Guardian radio, that was one of my first radios and used a Courier 100w amp behind it.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

Hey MDYoungblood, I just looked at it and I don't see a model number or anything. It just says Kris on the left and Boomer on the right. After I get my antenna set up and dialed in I will hook this box up and see how it sounds. I have never put power behing the Guardian before because it sounds so good without it but I am really interested in seeing how it sounds with some power behind it. It currently has a stock mic but I do have a D-104 and a plus 3 so as some point I will have to figure out how to replug one of them to fit this radio. The guy I bought the Guardian from owned a radio shop in the 80's and 90's so he took real good care of it. He used this one and a Washington but he wouldn't sell me the Washington.

MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

The PS Guardian will sound good with the D-104, shouldn't need to adjust the gain much over a 1/4 turn, the Turner +3 is an excellent mic as well plus the gain control is on top so you don't have to fiddle with turning it over. I liked my Guardian, tube audio has a nice warm fuzzy sound. When you get a mic plug just post a question on the wiring and if your handy with a soldering iron it would just take a couple of minutes to get one on the air.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
973Kid
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by 973Kid »

I actually got my anyenna up but so far it is just on a 10' pole. I have another 10' that this one will slide into so that should put my a-99 another 8' or so up when I am talking and I can bring it down when it's not in use. But anyway I put the Boomer in line with the Guardian and talked to a guy m/l 10 miles away and it was hitting him with a 9. I couldn't hear anyone on SSB. Pretty dead for skip last night when I finally got the rig set up. I'm just happy everything works. On Friday I eill be getting a power meter so I can see what the set up is doing. My swr is 1.3 on 1 and 40.