NMO mount antenna help please?

If you need help or advice on setting up a mobile, this forum is the perfect place to ask.
LocomtvBreth
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Oregon1138
Radio: Uniden Pro 520XL

NMO mount antenna help please?

Post by LocomtvBreth »

I already have a 3/4" hole in my roof and would like to use it for an NMO mount. I would like a 102" whip, and I believe I could use an NMO to 3/8-24 adapter with a 102 and no coil. Is this correct? If not, would a base loaded 49" like the Larsen NMO27 or Tram #1140 talk skip with a 100W amp?
------------------------------
1138 Oregon
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: NMO mount antenna help please?

Post by MDYoungblood »

Those NMO mounts aren't strong enough to handle a 102" whip unless you plan to be sitting still, it would be fine for the other base loaded antenna you mentioned, there are a couple more with a longer whip. If you haven't got the NMO yet look at the UHF mounts, about the same size hole needed, they are a little stronger in the antenna department (still not a 102") and a Wilson or Sirio screws on them.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

i think the Wilson 1000 uses an NMO mount also. talking skip is not so much about output power as it is the ability to receive the weakest of signals.
opening up the filters on a radio can help avoid squelching those weak transmissions. and the second part of it is having a perfectly tuned(matched)system. you can talk skip on a stock wattage radio when its all matched.
LocomtvBreth
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Oregon1138
Radio: Uniden Pro 520XL

Post by LocomtvBreth »

I'm weighing my options. Not sure if I want to build a 1/4" plate to mount on the roof to anchor a 102" whip, or just settle for a base loaded 49" antenna. NMO would be simpler, but more expensive. Sealing a homebrew puck or plate would be tricky. Lovejoy does have some 40 pucks that would make the puck and antenna almost as cheap and clean as NMO.
------------------------------
1138 Oregon