Heres a video explanation of my Camper base setup issues

A place to ask questions about base setup for CB radios or HAM radios. Talk about your experiences, seek advice, and share knowledge.
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: K40 Big Coil
Radio: Magnum s9, XForce 4p

Heres a video explanation of my Camper base setup issues

Post by chally216 »

In the last post, i explained about my problem i have been getting, SWR wise. still stumped... Here is a video of what i was explaining, i felt that a video would be a better way of explaining it rather then writing an essay lol. but anyway, give me some more feed back, of any kind, if you guys could. thanks again :compress: :bounce:

-moparman buck 10-

jessejamesdallas
Donor
Donor
Handle: Jesse James Dallas
Radio: working

Re: Heres a video explanation of my Camper base setup issues

Post by jessejamesdallas »

On both radios SWR on channel 40 is higher than channel 1 which means you need to shorten the driving element or do some more adjusting where ever you adjust the antenna for SWR till you get channel 1 and 40 to read closer to the same, and so channel 20 is either lower or at least close to the same (should read lower than 1 and 40)

Reason the big difference in SWR reading between the two radios, is still because the one radio has more power, so it just magnifies the problem more...

Right now, you have your antenna set for two bands lower than the CB channels (this is why when you went to the lower channels the SWR was allot better....Your antenna right now is set more for those lower channels.

One other note...You said in the video you have a ground wire running from the antenna to a ground rod? "Why?"

The antenna is grounded by mounting the boom to your mast. No need for a separate ground wire running down the tower. You can have a ground wire off the lower legs of the tower going to a ground rod tho to help with lightning. just keep it as short as possible.

Only other thing that might be a problem is how close to the building or camper the antenna is...(can't tell by the video just how close to the roof the antenna is) Going up even another 10' might help since it would get the antenna farther away from the roof.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

What JJD said about the grounds is what I would have said, just need a wire from the mast to the tower at the top, leave enough wire to turn the antenna and run a wire from each of the tower legs to the ground rods at the bottom.
I also agree with him the the antenna needs a little more tuning. Changing the bands up lowered the working frequency so the driven element is short.
Now the antenna, I still think it is seeing the tower on the bottom driven element, you will see a different SWR if you turn the antenna to where the element is closest to the tower then turn it to where it is farthest away, try this and see if the SWR changes.
I believe it was said on the other topic that the higher power radio might be giving a false reading because of stray RF and this could be true. You should be about to set the SWR with any radio and any power level with the Diamond meter. I would try a ground from the radio's case to the rod outside and a couple of 12mm (for the RG213) snap ferrites on the jumper, see if that improves the meter reading.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
chally216
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER
Antenna: K40 Big Coil
Radio: Magnum s9, XForce 4p

Post by chally216 »

Thanks guys and jjd I ment I grounded it right to the mast to the ground rod. And yea I think I'll try retuning the gamma and see if that helps.