Question about battery banks.

This forum is the place to seek assistance with batteries, alternators, and charging systems.
RadioPR
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck
Radio: RCI 2990 | RCI 2950

Question about battery banks.

Post by RadioPR »

Hello, this is my first post. I need/want to have my station ready in case of a power outage. I want to get two, maybe four, gel batteries and here is my question. I currently have a 25Amp Power Supply which powers up my rig (RCI2950 barefoot), is there a way to have this hooked up to my batteries and use this power supply to maintain my batteries charged up 100% Do i need to put anything between the Power supply and the battery bank? I also have a piramid 10amp power supply could that be used to maintain the battery bank instead? more like a deep cycle charger?

Hurricane Season coming up so i want to have this up and running/charged up and working.

73's from Puerto Rico!

thank you in advance
Night Crawler
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified

Re: Question about battery banks.

Post by Night Crawler »

RadioPR wrote: I currently have a 25Amp Power Supply which powers up my rig (RCI2950 barefoot), is there a way to have this hooked up to my batteries and use this power supply to maintain my batteries charged up 100% Do i need to put anything between the Power supply and the battery bank?
I used an Isolator between them on a 2 meter repeater that I had something like this.
http://www.legitimate.org/ioo ... olator.htm

Here is a modification that can be done if you have an Astron supply.
http://www.repeater-builder.c ... ttmod.html
RadioPR
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by RadioPR »

What if i have a Nippon America DVP-2212 power supply? Is there any other simpler mean of achieving this?
norstadt
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

Post by norstadt »

Don't know if this will help you or not, however I have 2 cell site batteries that run in parallel w/ each other. I have a 2000 watt invertor tied in that powers (120Vac) my back up 3/4 HP sump pump. I also run a DX250 amp off the bateries direct. To charge my batteries I took a 13vdc/1000mA power transformer and use that to provide a constant trickle charge to the batteries. Its been 2 yrs running w/ no ill effects what so ever. Never had the batteries go out either. Once in awhile I test the voltage and it reads 14vdc. Stays charged up well. Whenever a storm causes power disruption my backup sump pump keeps the basement dry. I also tested the batteries out and ran the sump pump by itself for 2 weeks untill batteries fell below 12v. Like I said not sure if this helps you or at least gives you an idea?

Mike
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck
Handle: Double R
Radio: madison on 5/8 wave

Post by 443 Arizona »

hey thanks Nightcrawler, i only wish i knew of the Astron mod sooner,,, it got zapped (backfed),
RadioPR
Super Mud-Duck
Super Mud-Duck

Post by RadioPR »

Hey norstadt, thank you for your input. Night Crawler's suggestion is excellent but that type of setup is much more highend to what im trying to achieve, also out of my reach ($$). I already have three (3) batteries here hooked up and working. I am looking for something cheap and simple, as that of what you are suggesting, thank you.

I will give this a try and see how these batteries stay charged.

Thank you again.
420Snowman

Post by 420Snowman »

Go to Walmart and buy 3 cheap "float" chargers, I use them on my 12 volt system on my golf cart(for the CB, Stereo, etc.) and I bought them for 7 bucks!!!