WHAT IS A VET?

Want to shout someone a friendly 4 n 1. Do it here, and put their name in the hall of fame!
thumper

WHAT IS A VET?

Post by thumper »

WHAT IS A VET?
Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's alloy forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking. What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.
He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.
She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.
He is the POW who went away one person and came back another -or didn't come back AT ALL.
He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat -but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.
He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.
He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.
He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.
He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket -palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a **Censored** death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.
He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs. He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.
So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need,and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.
Two little words that mean a lot,
"THANK YOU".
Last edited by thumper on February 15th, 2006, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordDragr

Post by LordDragr »

I am sure I speak for all veteran's when I say thank you for posting this to Honor us. As a few of you know I was in the navy during the war and served in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003. Thanks Thumper it touched me deeply and reminded me that we are not forgotten. :88-usa:
jcollins

wow

Post by jcollins »

that was really heart warming
thank you very much thumper.
that really means allot to me. and all vets.
Godspeed
jon :thankyou:
TexasBandit

Post by TexasBandit »

Thanks for the post! It gave me chill bumps and a little watery eyes =) I served two tour's in the middle east myself.. one being operation desert fox.. Hat's off to all the brave soldiers still serving our country!
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

Wow. All I can say is Thanks Guys.

Post by Guest »

You said it all THUMPER! :88-usa: :9us_flag:
BigBopper

Post by BigBopper »

Great words Thumper!!!
mudder

Post by mudder »

:06-28iag: :88-usa: :8_us_flag:
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Great words !

I served 7 years in the USMC
Working Cowboy

Post by Working Cowboy »

Thumper I dont have much to say except Thank you sir. It was an honor and a privelage.

"DE OPRESSO LIBRE"
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

Thank You!
Big Guns

What is a VET?

Post by Big Guns »

Thank you, those were very touching words, as I served 10 years in the navy and now I am in the Air National Guard and served in this most recent and ongoing saga back in 2003.
oknaz

Heart Warming Words

Post by oknaz »

I've never been in the armed forces but my father served 2 yr's in germany . then my uncle served 5 yr's in the navy , my cousin is still serving in the navy as a MP in california . i think he has been in since high school and he must be at least 30 yr's old . so hand shakes and hat's off to the all vet's and those still protecting our soil

Post by 406 »

Not trying to hog the forums but I also have to thank thumper for the kind words. Vets are truly the core of our nation, you know at times it wasn't the best place to be or the best thing to do...but what can i say except Thank God for the Vets. and i also Thank You.........

USAF 1966 to 1970
Shaw AFB S.C.
THUMPER

Post by THUMPER »

you all are welcome !

and to all you Vietnam vet's you deserved a better welcome home than yo all got !

thank you!and god bless
Last edited by THUMPER on May 13th, 2007, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rancho119
Donor
Donor

What is a Vet?

Post by Rancho119 »

A Vet. is a young man who volunteer's to leave his safe mechanics job behind the walls to replace a fallen comrade on a convoy so he can try to protect his friends with his expert shooting skills and good mechanical skills. All on a convoy to bring protection and supplies to a school that is being rebuilt for kids who have nothing. No thought of glory or fame, just to be of help.

the proud parent of Soldier in the U.S. Army
Iceburg

Re: WHAT IS A VET?

Post by Iceburg »

thumper wrote:WHAT IS A VET?
Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's alloy forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking. What is a vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.
He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.
She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.
He is the POW who went away one person and came back another -or didn't come back AT ALL.
He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat -but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.
He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.
He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.
He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.
He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket -palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a **Censored** death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.
He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs. He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.
So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need,and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.
Two little words that mean a lot,
"THANK YOU".
AMEN
DaveinKC
Donor
Donor

Vets

Post by DaveinKC »

As the proud father of two USMC sons presently serving in Iraq, thank you and thanks to all of our armed forces working hard for us.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thank you for the tribute.

Marines 1/9
81-88
Wordwide & Qualified
Wordwide & Qualified
Handle: 316
Antenna: Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 2950 and IC-7000

Post by 316 »

I know my grandfather
Maj Jack Rothwell USMC

He was shot down by the Vietcong in Nam.
Now he is buried in Arlington.
Hoping to go see him this summer if work allows.
Last edited by 316 on December 7th, 2007, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLDscrewdriver
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

what is a vet? reply

Post by GLDscrewdriver »

THUMPER for many years i have heard people talk about that subject. and all to often we take our vets for granted..........they live and die by a silent code between each other and that's what makes us strong..if it wasn't for people like thumper reminding us of our vet's i think people like my self would have giving up in the civilian area....

RI421 Golden Screw Driver Cpl USMC
Seabee

Post by Seabee »

Today is my 11th anniversary in the Navy. I couldn't have asked for a better a better anniversary gift. Got watery eyes now. Thanks Thumper.
wood eye
Donor
Donor

Post by wood eye »

A Vet, ALL VETS. are the reason we can sit here and do the things we are doing.
Thanks to all vets from all services and all wars, "police actions" and "conflicts".
wood eye
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
wood eye
Donor
Donor

Post by wood eye »

happy 11th Seabee
If you don't stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Donor
Donor

Post by 626 »

Gentlemen,

When you are a Marine they teach you not to say thanks to a fellow Devil Dog for doing his job. By the same token , when you are in charge you are not supposed to say please.

That being said, i want to say Thank You to all my fellow warriors. I also want to say Please continue to show your appreciation to the veterans you meet day in and day out.

I spent eleven years doing stuff that I did not always enjoy. Always working with fellow Marines that would lay down their lives for me. This extended family is truly a pleasure few will ever experience. I would go back in a hearbeat and do it all again. When Marines say Semper Fidelis they truly mean Always Faithful

I saw this old thread and thought instantly about the groundswell of patriotism that I witnessed after 9/11. I watched this initial patriotism and flag waving fade into the same apathetic garbage that we saw on 9/10. how soon we forget. Now the war isnt as popular. Those brave souls that fight our battles, be it the grunts on the front line that take enemy fire or the lowly recruiter that takes insults and jibes from weak minded individuals not wanting to be bothered, deserve our undying support. NOT the kind of support that wanes at the first sign of challenge. But, the kind of support that mirrors the unwavering tenacious devotion to duty of our sons and daughters on the front lines. Yes, I said daughters. I know females with confirmed kills. Not allowed in combat though?

This could easily turn into a rant if it hasnt done so already. But, Let me rephrase my point so as to drive it home. God bless the United States. God bless the Marine Corps. God bless the citizens of this great nation who wouldnt be alive if it werent for our warriors. May our proud flag always fly over the land of the Free and the home of the brave.

Semper Fidelis,

GUNNY