Questions about Y QUAD antenna

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Unit 211
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Questions about Y QUAD antenna

Post by Unit 211 »

Hello my name is Scott, I live in texas still trying to figure this out please forgive me if I am placing my question in the wrong place i am very glad to meet y'all I've installed a second hand Y QUAD antenna it seems to work I was unsure about grounding what I did was connected a solid copper line from the mounting plate the Y QUAD is attached on ran it down the tower and connected the other end to A copper grounding rod I drove into the soil 4 1/2 feet at the base of the tower Now I also have a solid copper line from the chase of my cobra base station to the same copper grounding rod is that a bad idea? And or should I be going about things differently?
I have 2 more questions; (1)I believe the Y QUAD is a two element antenna. One large cross is driven or has the gammas mounted, the other is smaller which I believe to be the reflector does that sound correct? (2)when I key up to transmit does that Signal go out in the direction of the driven side of the antenna,or does that signal go out in the direction off the reflector side? Thank you so very much from scott....

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Questions about Y QUAD antenna

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hello Unit 211,
Welcome to the forum. First thing could you post a intro in the "Welcome to the Forum" topic, http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewforum.php?f=89 ,so others can say "Hi", thanks. Next grounding is always a great idea especially having a large lightning rod like a CB antenna on the roof. The ground wire only has to go from the antenna mast where it meets the top of the tower and at the bottom where the tower meets ground level to the ground rods. If lightning is to strike the tower the metal will take the strike to the ground. You may want to invest in a lightning arrestor for the coax and rotor control cable, these are installed outside, keeping the electrical charge out of the house. If you don't have a manual for the antenna you can download it off the internet, there are grounding instruction there to follow.
The front of the Y Quad is the end with the gamma matchers, that points toward the station you are contacting. The antenna is basically omni directional with a reflector to drive the signal forward but you will still hear station off the back, just not as stong.
I removed a second post similar to this one and moved this one to the right topic area, if you ever need any help just let us know.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Unit 211
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by Unit 211 »

Say Greg,
Thank you for the info and advise you let me know every thing that I needed to know and more thumbs up buddy
From scott

[ Post made via Android ] Image
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Grounding is important, don't want this to happen,

A lot of info on grounding on the forum pages, just use the search for more.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department