Help

Need some help fixing a computer problem, or just want to share a link to a program? Do it hear... From the PC to the CB!!!
y2rescue109
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Help

Post by y2rescue109 »

i get this message when i start up my computer = error loading C:\docume~1\user\protect.dll anyway to fix or get rid of this error
NCMidnight

Re: Help

Post by NCMidnight »

y2rescue109 wrote:i get this message when i start up my computer = error loading C:\docume~1\user\protect.dll anyway to fix or get rid of this error
From what little you told us about your problem and Judging from the fact that its in C:\doc~ Im guessing its the old OS protection worm(spain 07). Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ if that does not get it we can go from there. This infection goes deep if I'm correct. If malwawrebytes does not take care of it manual removal is an option but not always an easy one depending on the users skill level. I cant be sure using only the information you gave us. Does your PC have any other symptoms like new desktop icons, a new toolbar on your internet browser, or strange browser activity (pop ups or redirects to OS protects site)?

Other system32 options use .dll's a lot like this, "protect.dll" is also associated with the Windows user password protect files but it should be in C:\Windows\System32 by default.
Get Malwarebytes first and :idea: Be sure to back up your system before you start trying to remove this in case you run into problems.
linx

Post by linx »

If it's affecting the PC from loading, and you cannot get the malware program, then reboot into safe mode (pressing F8 after the bios screen). After you're in go to start/run/ and type in msconfig. When that dialog comes up disable all startup items.

If it were me, I would run all anti spyware/malware programs in safe mode with networking, but everyone does the game differently.
y2rescue109
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by y2rescue109 »

thnxz 4 the help i think i got it fixed with malware bites