TRC-99C and cap replacement

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Critter98
2 PILL USER
2 PILL USER

TRC-99C and cap replacement

Post by Critter98 »

Hi all. I'm replacing caps on this handheld. Some of the older caps in the radio are quite large but the new ones are 1/4 of the size. For example one is labeled Marcom CE04W 100uf 16V. The replacement is labeled United 100uf 16V. Now I have one that is larger but has 50V. Would it matter if I put the larger 50V one in?

Tks in adv.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

yes it does matter in your situation, because allthou it may function, it might use and also allow more "power" thru the circuitry and end up being a drain on the battery, not have the sensitivity, and introduce higher voltage into your HANDheld depending on the circuit.
but , messing around is fun too, :-) maybe cause some spurious signal and the men in black will show up at your door, :lol: keep us posted
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Your main concern is the size, well over the years components have gotten smaller. The value of "100uf" is what you are looking for so you can use either. The voltage rating can increase, it doesn't mean you will be upping the voltage, just that the component can handle that voltage. When I recapped a radio I always went with a higher voltage rating. Good luck with that HT.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department