Tell us about your radio(s).

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Tell us about your radio(s).

Post by Mentor3006 »

I've had CBs since the 1980s, and been around them since my Dad had one in his Vega Wagon when I was a kid...

I currently have, well a collection of sorts.

3 @ Realistic TRC-465 AM/SSB radios, which are basically relabelled Unidens, 2 of them outfitted with Realistic power mics, and one with a Cobra power mic. I purchased my first TRC-465 new in 1993 in Tucson Az. Along with it I bought a Realistic power mic, and mag mount antenna that only recently hit the recycle bin... The other two were aquisitions.

I have the original mounted up in my '04 F150 4x4, and fitted with a Radio Shack 102" whip, 6" heavy duty spring, and a custom about to be redone mount. I had at one time one of the radios in my late wifes 2001 Saturn SL2 with a 102 and one set up as a base with a custom rigged, if you guessed 102 you might be catching the trend here... I was major into 102s for a long time...

I went radio silent for a good number of years, only using the CB on road trips longer than Galveston to Houston... so they got dusty, and my desires for what I wanted in a radio began to change. I wanted a premium radio, and wanted one with weather channels and alerts for my camping and hunting trips as we kept getting washed out due to lack of info...

So in my class B RV / Camper van I am setting up a President McKinley II FCC AM / FM / SSB with weather. I have seen the Digimike, and considered it, but not jumped on it yet.

As my van also has to be used for a work vehicle for health reasons I need a lower antenna than a 102, and went with a Firestik II. I am not fully set up yet as the coax is still en route, but I suspect I will be very pleased with the President (radio that is).

As I use both the van, and pickup for camping / hunting trips, I will probably want to eventually upgrade the pickup to a President McKinley II, but might watch to see if the price comes down a bit because, well they are a bit on the spendy side.

My wife having passed left me with her Nissan Pathfinder as well. Will probably rig it with a radio and probably a Wilson 1000 or similar mag mount. I do NOT want to poke any holes in that thing...

And I will likely set up an antenna again and route coax out of my home office to set up base station again. Although I doubt I will be once I get some things settled, spending much time around the house preferring to hang out on the beach. FWIW, skip playing off the Gulf of Mexico is pretty cool as I recall...

So what's your setup? Anything you would like to move up to or downsize from?

Anyway, if you remember Mentor in the late 80s in the Corvallis / Albany area of Oregon, early to mid 90s in Tucson Arizona, or since then in the Clear Lake Texas area, well... Howdy! That would be me...
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

I have a table designated for working CB's such as a Cobra 148 GTL, TRAMD 64, TRAM D201, and a Uniden Washington. I have another table just for the ham hobby. The only thing in common between them both is I can share the iMax 2000, the dipole and the Hex beam between the two stations. I like to keep the two hobbies separate. Believe it or not, the cb radios have a very low noise floor compared to a ham radios on the cb bands.
Bobcat
Donor
Donor

Post by Bobcat »

I have been away from here for quite some time and finally thought to come log in. Had some trouble getting through the "forgot my password" bit because I forgot the old email that I used to register. Finally figured it out and here I am.

Radios?
Still have my SBE Console V (needs a good alignment!). Since then, I have collected radios of "questionable condition" to repair and align in retirement. JC Penney Pinto, Cobra 29(2 or 3), Cobra 25 (3), Cobra 21X, Cobra 21, Cobra 148(2), Realistic TRC-458 SSB(2), Sears Roadtalker 40 SSB(1), Pace Sidetalker 1000M, Uniden PC-68XL, Magnum S9, Tram D201A, Sears 23 (1), Smokey 23 (1), Realistic TRC-421(1), Midland 79-892(1), RCA CoPilot 14T302 SSB(1), Midland 151M(1), Midland 77-888(1)

On the Ham side:
Icom 7300 HF thru 6m, Yaesu FTM400, and of course the ever present Baofeng UV5R.

Test Equipment: (so far)
Tektronix 465M scope, Hameg HM-5006 Spectrum Analyzer, Boonton 102F RF Signal Gen, B&K 2040 CB Signal Gen, Beckman 1.3 GHz Freq Counter, Sinadder SINAD meter, Heath IM-11 VTVM, Nano VNA H4, Bird 43 Watt Meter

Looking to have fun when I retire!!!!!!!!
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I've had so many in the past I couldn't possibly remember them all, I can say I have never owned a Cobra radio.
Currently I have a Texas Ranger Freedom One I use for CB, I have a Icom IC-746 (non pro) I use for HF and 2m bands, a Icom IC-706MKIIG in the pickup, and a Icom IC-7100 in the box to be installed in the pickup.
I have downsized my collection a lot as I have moved 3 times in the last 2 years, settled in now so the collection will start again soon.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Blood
Im talking mobile right now so I need some info from you !
Make model and color of your vehicle. ( the one with the radio in it )
Tag #
And where you leave it un attended the most.
///////////////
Dont worry I wont break any windows I will use my Flipper Zero to by pass the security and unlock it .

Windwalker Global
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Windwalker wrote: March 31st, 2024, 8:31 am Blood
Im talking mobile right now so I need some info from you !
Make model and color of your vehicle. ( the one with the radio in it )
Tag #
And where you leave it un attended the most.
///////////////
Dont worry I wont break any windows I will use my Flipper Zero to by pass the security and unlock it .

Windwalker Global
lol,, you got my address and it's the only vehicle with antennas on it,, keys are in it and unlocked.. Please bring a hefty rare steak as Montana would like that unless you are willing to give up a calf or thigh.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

A steak is my choice. Ill even leave you a couple.
Thats a small price to pay for that radio.
Further since you are being a good sport about it I wont even cut the coax.
Im nice like that !!