DX959 Foot pedal mod

This forum is a valuable resource for microphone information, including wiring details and more. If you need assistance with choosing a high-quality microphone for your radio, feel free to ask here.
JetSetter

DX959 Foot pedal mod

Post by JetSetter »

I've been working on a mod on my Galaxy DX959. And i want to connect a foot pedal to mic input. I have a mic cable and my foot pedal. Just not 100% sure of the wiring. My mic cable is pin1 shld, pin2 White, pin 3 Red and pin 4 is Black. My pedal has 3 wires( Red,Black and White) The bottom says: Red=NO, White=Com and Black is NC. And my radio is 1-Shld, 2-Yellow(audio), 3=Red(Tx) and 4=White(Rx). Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DX959 Foot pedal mod

Post by MDYoungblood »

Okay,, lets talk about the pedal first. the red wire, NO I believe means "normally open" the white is the ground (common), and the black, NC means "normally closed" , this can be checked with a multi meter (ohm meter). The ground (common) is connected to the shield in the mic plug, the other wire (should be the red) is connected to the pin 3 (red or TX) in the plug, this should key the radio. I would add a few ferrites beads on the pedal cord as it might pick up stray RF. A 959DX shouldn't need the receive (RX) connected, but if you want it can go on pin 4

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

I did check it with a meter, seems all good there. I will have to pick up some beads. And one other thing. Part of this mod i'm doing. I have to connect a wire to the Board Ground. I see where the board has a tab, and that tap is soldered to the chassis. Would that be my board ground?

From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

If there is a tab connected between the case/chassis and the board that would be an excellent connect point as long as it's not part of the RF section (near the antenna jack).

3's

Greg

JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

All good then. It's on the opposite side. Hope to have this finished tomorrow. Just need to get to the store for some beads and shrink tubing. As usual, you been a great help. Peace

From the land of Lincoln
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

MDYoungblood wrote: April 17th, 2019, 11:13 am Okay,, lets talk about the pedal first. the red wire, NO I believe means "normally open" the white is the ground (common), and the black, NC means "normally closed" , this can be checked with a multi meter (ohm meter). The ground (common) is connected to the shield in the mic plug, the other wire (should be the red) is connected to the pin 3 (red or TX) in the plug, this should key the radio. I would add a few ferrites beads on the pedal cord as it might pick up stray RF. A 959DX shouldn't need the receive (RX) connected, but if you want it can go on pin 4

3's

Greg
Ok, had a change in my plans. Seeing the "Y" cable you use. I think i want to wire my pedal directly to my mic. I was just going to put a 4 pin connector on it. But now that just seems silly. Of course now, just thinking about it. Maybe i should connect a pigtail 1/4'' female plug to my mic. And then a 1/4'' male on my pedal. I think that might be the best thing.

From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Beachbum24 wrote: April 21st, 2019, 9:24 am
MDYoungblood wrote: April 17th, 2019, 11:13 am Okay,, lets talk about the pedal first. the red wire, NO I believe means "normally open" the white is the ground (common), and the black, NC means "normally closed" , this can be checked with a multi meter (ohm meter). The ground (common) is connected to the shield in the mic plug, the other wire (should be the red) is connected to the pin 3 (red or TX) in the plug, this should key the radio. I would add a few ferrites beads on the pedal cord as it might pick up stray RF. A 959DX shouldn't need the receive (RX) connected, but if you want it can go on pin 4

3's

Greg
Ok, had a change in my plans. Seeing the "Y" cable you use. I think i want to wire my pedal directly to my mic. I was just going to put a 4 pin connector on it. But now that just seems silly. Of course now, just thinking about it. Maybe i should connect a pigtail 1/4'' female plug to my mic. And then a 1/4'' male on my pedal. I think that might be the best thing.
Are you talking about this?? It is the simplest way to key the radio.

3's

Greg

JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

Yep. But i'm starting to think i don't fully understand the hook up on these. I wanted connect the pigtail (1/4'' female) to my cb mic. That way the pedal connects there, so i don't have to unplug my mic to plug in my pedal. I see the 1/4'' plug on yours, which i assume is for the pedal. Then i see the connector for your radio. But why the XLR connector.

From the land of Lincoln
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

The XLR connects to my Heil HM-1 Pro microphone, that pic was just an internet reference but the same as what I use, only mine have longer cords to reach my equipment. My PTT is this,

3's

Greg

JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

So your mic connects directly to your radio, not a mixer. That's why i didn't understand your cable setup. Unless i'm wrong. But my mic will go to a mixer, then to my radio. So i'm hoping to keep my original power/echo mic, and just wire my pedal to that. So all i have to do is flip a switch to go between the two.

From the land of Lincoln
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

MDYoungblood wrote: April 23rd, 2019, 2:49 pm The XLR connects to my Heil HM-1 Pro microphone, that pic was just an internet reference but the same as what I use, only mine have longer cords to reach my equipment. My PTT is this,

3's

Greg
So does that just have 2 wires for the connection. SHLD and TX. Or do i need the Audio also.

From the land of Lincoln
JetSetter

Post by JetSetter »

This is a pic of what i'm trying to do.

From the land of Lincoln