Equipment interference

Just any other questions that you don't see a forum for? Go ahead and post here.
JetSetter
Verified

Equipment interference

Post by JetSetter »

Starting to do a complete remodel of my basement. Which includes my radio equipment. I'm a little tight on space. So, wondering if it's ok to stack certain pieces of eqiup. For example. Would placing my SWR meter on top my KL-350 amp cause any problems? Hi @Windwalker
:icon_salut:

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

In general yes it will interfere with the swr meter. How much depends on the meter quality.
I used to run a tuner for my swr meter it was not on top of my super big linear. The tuner had a seperate 12 volt line for the internal lights that I didnt hook up. Every time I keyed the mic the lights lit up indicating the stray rf power.
This subject in my opinion leads to field strength meters and how far away you can read a specific transmission.

WW Global
JetSetter
Verified

Post by JetSetter »

So, as this is in a shelved unit. Do you think a piece of wood between the two would be good. Or, how about the SWR on top the radio? Or since my radio kicks out 5x what your amp does, will that not work here like it would there.

"822" Were Alive and Kickin'
From the land of Lincoln
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

No wood wont help much. Back in the day you could interfere a tv from many feet away. Through bricks and or wood as tvs are usually inside.
I dont prefer shelved set ups. Spread a radio station out by component is best for me. That amp may do 10X what my small amp will do but it isnt a large amount of watts. Quality coax with tight connections and no exposed wire will help to reduce interference.
Your radio shack is gonna be filled with stray RF no matter what you do. How much is up to you. They make external frequency counters that are not coax or plug connected. They just sit there and when you key up they read and display. Often times this type of counter will have an antenna on it.
Yes there will be interference but until you run that Sweet 16 or big watts the effect will be minimal. Further unless you have high end diagnostic equiprment your and most swr meters give a relative or approximate reading. They do work well enough to save your station but they are not exact by any means.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

It depends on the quality of the meter like Windwaker said. I have an Autek Research WM-1 SWR/PWR computing meter on top a 1500w amp which has a remote head. I don't have any problems.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I don't think it will be a problem, most of my radio equipment is on a baker's rack self unit. Problems do happen when connections aren't tight or cheap coax cables are used. It will help if everything has a ground attached going to a copper cold water pipe or ground rod outside.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

JetSetter wrote: March 6th, 2024, 9:05 pm So, as this is in a shelved unit. Do you think a piece of wood between the two would be good. Or, how about the SWR on top the radio? Or since my radio kicks out 5x what your amp does, will that not work here like it would there.
Jet I just bought a new amplifier. Its overkill for me as I only need 25 watts. BUT its big enough to beat the pants off of you.