General Lee and ST-65 Microphone Watergate

You can put a videogate, watergate on Putfile or YouTube, and put the URL links in your post. Anyone can get a free account on Putfile to store their gates, and it even gives you the BB code to post in your message for the link.
J-570

General Lee and ST-65 Microphone Watergate

Post by J-570 »

Ok here is my radio check water gate. It's a little long, the first part is just me talking to myself on the gate. The second part is me talking to my little brother who is inside the house on the base radio.

I'm using my General Lee with the ST-65 mic, barefoot on a wilson 1000 mag mount in my Jetta in the driveway. The water gate has the "S" word in it a few times so if you don't want to hear that word don't click the link please.

http://media.putfile.com/Radi ... l-LeeST-65

Post by crazytruker »

Sounded real good. Nice and clean and just the right amount of echo. Nice job
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Thank you crazy, I was a little nervous about posting it because my style of talking on the CB is a lot different than most folks on this forum. :oops:
crazytruker

Post by crazytruker »

I bet you would be surprised at how folks on here talk on the radio. If you heard me messing with the local young punk street cruisers out here you would be like WTF. Good thing I can't be banned on air for some of the things I say LOL
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Oh trust me I was behaving, on that water gate because I wanted to post it up here. I have watergates that people would want to beat me up if I posted them lol.

Hence the CBA# in my sig. That "A" don't stand for angel. :wink:
coondog

Post by coondog »

yea,sounds real crisp and clear as a radio should sound.i run a ST-65 mic with my GL also.i get a tremendous amount of great come backs on my power,modulation,etc.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Thanks for the flowers there coondog, I love my GL/ST-65 set up. I'll have to make one of my 99v with that mic also and see which radio you guys like better. :wink:
BallWrecker
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by BallWrecker »

Hey 570, That radio sounded real good! I thought you were going to try different mics out on that watergate. Id love to hear it with different mics just to see how much of a difference it would make. BTW, are you the guy i hear in Allentown once in a while... Hey im in the Green mack, im not scared of you buddy! .. lol.. you sound just like that guy when someone makes him p.o.ed... Anyways.. loud n proud 10-4
J-570

Post by J-570 »

BallWrecker wrote:Hey 570, That radio sounded real good! I thought you were going to try different mics out on that watergate. Id love to hear it with different mics just to see how much of a difference it would make. BTW, are you the guy i hear in Allentown once in a while... Hey im in the Green mack, im not scared of you buddy! .. lol.. you sound just like that guy when someone makes him p.o.ed... Anyways.. loud n proud 10-4
Hey Ballwrecker, I will do a mic test between the RK-56, 636L and stock mic in a few weeks after I get my base radio back. I am ending it out to get tuned and peaked and stuff today.But once I get it back I'll add those other water gates to this thread. And thanks for the flowers, they are much appreciated.

And I'm sure you've heard me around Allentown. But they guy you are thinking of is RDX#911 The Hitman. There's a bunch of us that sound a like out there. We are all in a CB club called the CB **Censored**. Most of us run barefoot until someone makes us flip the switch and drop the big hammer. If you want more information send me a PM.
BigX
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Bigx

Post by BigX »

Thats nice Whipit..... just what i like to hear.......were back quite
BallWrecker
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by BallWrecker »

Ill be looking forward to that watergate mic shootout. That guy with the green Mack dump I hear him all over, even down in chester area. I have heard people down in south jersey area yelling CBA.......com, but that site dont come up for me. I dont know ifthey are spelling it different or what. Anyways, next time im up that way Ill try to shout for ya see if your around the area.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Hey ballwrecker, that guy in the green dump is RDX#911 Hitman, the number one prodigal son haha. Next time you hear him, just give him a shout and tell him you are friends with Whippit 570, he'll haller back at ya.

And if you want more info about our club just shoot me a PM.
coondog

Post by coondog »

J-570,i see your going to try out different mics with your GL once your base is up and running.this is funny because i did the same exact thing with those same exact mics.i had my wife on the base with a tape recorder for my later use( by the way,recorders i don"t think do ya justice)and when i was on the open highway she said my ST-65 sounded the best out of the 3 other mics you mentioned.

636L=to twangy

RK-56= to muffle and to basey

GL stock mic=deep in a cave

when your trying out your mics have the person on the base turn up the volume and when you key up and talk on your GL you"ll be able to hear your audio,its better and more accurate then a tape recorder.when you were playing with your mic gain i actually couldn"t tell a difference at the different settings but with my setup i have to run it at about 10:00 or it gets fuzzy sounding but yours sounded good at any setting.you"d be amazed on how our radio and mic sounds with a DM 2x8 along with a motor maul 400,AWESOME.yea,let us know how your test works out.
BallWrecker
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by BallWrecker »

hey 570 did u ever get around to those watergates? I tried putting my skythumper mic on my stryker and ppl said it didnt sound too good. I had to switch back to the rk56.
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Not yet my base is out getting redone, so my gate station is missing for the time being. Did you try turning your mic gain down with the ST-65?
Part Time
Donor
Donor
Handle: Part Time
Antenna: Predator 10K, Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 63FFC4, Cobra 29

Post by Part Time »

Awesome sounding! Hope my GL sounds that good on the other end. Like coondog said, I couldn't really tell the difference on the recording when playing with the mic gain. The first part of the recording when you were talking to yourself seemed a bit louder through the recording anyway. I haven't heard of an ST-65 mic. Is that noise toy in the mic? I might have to try one of those. Right now I'm using an Astatic 636L. Great sounding radio once again!
OL-3-TOE
Donor
Donor

Post by OL-3-TOE »

Hey 570 what do you have your gain set at on the final watergate test with your brother and what are your echo knobs set at?
UNITED STATES NAVY
Supporting Our Freedom
Part Time
Donor
Donor
Handle: Part Time
Antenna: Predator 10K, Wilson 5K
Radio: RCI 63FFC4, Cobra 29

Post by Part Time »

OL-3-TOE wrote:Hey 570 what do you have your gain set at on the final watergate test with your brother and what are your echo knobs set at?

Yeah, that's another thing I forgot to ask, where he had the echo knobs set at, it sounds bodacious! My echo knobs on my GL are "inner knob", orange mark straight up @ 12 o clock, and the "outer knob" turned so that the inner knob orange mark is at the "second groove" to the right of the orange groove of the outer knob if that makes sense. I was wondering myself how close I have mine set to where 570 had his in that recording.
trip7downunder
Donor
Donor

Post by trip7downunder »

Great gate. Only thing i would do which maybe you had is drive bout 20 miles away and repeat the gate to how the radio sounds and all that. I always gate about 20 kms or so away so i can hear how loud my radios are. Keep up the good work.
Trip 7's all American technology mobile just got down!

Cheers From Downunder
OL-3-TOE
Donor
Donor

Post by OL-3-TOE »

I have mine set at, outer knob @ 2 o'clock and the inner knob @ 11 o'clock. I never know if I'm getting a good radio check or not.
UNITED STATES NAVY
Supporting Our Freedom
BallWrecker
Skipshooter
Skipshooter

Post by BallWrecker »

ya i turned back the mic gain to 9oclock before the guy said he could actually understand me. Hey 570, were you around Jackson,NJ ( great adventure) area today. I heard the CBA 435 and 113 guys out today telling ppl check out CB A..... .com ... Loud Audio fosho who ever they were
caveman73
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by caveman73 »

Hey 570, That mic sounded real good. I like that beeping sound every time you were keying up. What is that called and where can I get that at?
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Wow, guess I must have missed all these new posts in this thread, sorry about that guys been busy at work.

As far as the mic gain and echo controls. In the last part of the gate the mic gain is set at 3 o'clock, the inner echo is at 1:30 and the outter is at about 2 o'clock. The ST-65 mic is a noise canceling mic made by skythumper, sparky's sells it for 29.99. The 3 tone key up is a 3 tone roger beep installed in the radio wired for a key up instead of a key down (roger beep).

I also can't go 20 miles away to do the gate because that is just barefoot, I don't have an amp in my car as of right now but when I put one in there I will move farther away.

And yeah I was probably out there when you heard CBA 435 and RDX 113, we are all over the tri-state every day..... :lol:
Iceman270
Duckplucker
Duckplucker
Handle: Iceman
Radio: Uniden Grant XL

Post by Iceman270 »

Great sounding GL you have there with the Skythumper, good clean audio with just the right amount of echo. Also loving that 3 tone Roger Beep you have there. Is that the kit that's called a Roger K Beep?
J-570

Post by J-570 »

Bump for those that were actually interested in this thread.