new version magnum 1 bias voltage

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
Deleted User 30864

new version magnum 1 bias voltage

Post by Deleted User 30864 »

hello everyone. I am trying to tune up a magnum one and having trouble setting the bias.
does anyone know the average settings for the driver and 2 finals. i have installed some genuine ON semiconductor FQP13N10.
i know these are not as robust as say a IRF520 or ERF2030+ but i have a great match on my antenna so i am not worried.
i am also aware that fqp13n10s do not need as much bias voltage as those other fets i mentioned.

any input would be great. thank you.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: new version magnum 1 bias voltage

Post by MDYoungblood »

Hmm, I would bet the radio has an RCI board in it so the originals could have been 520's. Since you have changed them to FQP13N10, I wouldn't go over 10mA on the driver and 50ma (both) on the finals, stay on the lesser side of 50mA and adjust for best performance. JMO.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
sonoma
Donor
Donor
Handle: sonoma
Radio: President Washington

Post by sonoma »

see if this info will help you on the alignment of the new radio. this info it for the ones built after 2016. just lower the bias a little from the original version as MDY mentioned.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radio ... /index.htm
Deleted User 30864

Hey I appreciate the information everyone. Thing is. I’m having trouble getting readings using a multimeter in MA mode and probing the jumper pins. I have read the mag 1 bias instructions found on net. But I am able to get readings by grounding one lead and the other at the gate of the fets. So going by voltage on the gate. Can it not be done like this?
Yes originals fets were IOR 520s
I do not believe it is a rci main pcb. It’s more like a Lincoln v2+ or the Stryker radios. Most of it is surface mount.
Deleted User 30864

so i have been at this for a few days now. i am using a klein tools mm600 multimeter. i set it to ma and connect positive lead to the ma section on meter. removed both header pins at W3 and W4. set the radio to LSB with mic gain off. key up and probe the 2 pins with meter and nothing. i can not get any readings what so ever. same for both at w3 and w4.
can someone give me some advice please.
or does anyone know what the volts should be at the gate of mosfets for driver and finals. NOT milliamps
13el121
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: 13EL121
Antenna: Sirio Gainmaster
Radio: President Grant Export, Jackson, SS3900

Post by 13el121 »

I have a Maxlog 8800 v06 converted to Fqp13n10. Gate voltage set to 3,7v for driver and 3,6v for finals. Works, but only 5w more than 520s. Not worth doing the job imo.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Guess he got his answer and then no longer wanted to be part of the forum, "Que Sera, Sera". I am leaving this topic in place, it may help others with this problem.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department