Francis Amazers

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Francis Amazers

Post by MysteryMan »

I did a search on the forum and did not find much info on the Amazers so I thought I would post this to answers some questions.

I was digging in the rafters and found my Francis Amazers & two other whips.
I included some pictures.

As you can see, 3 Grey and 2 white; The white ones: one of them is from a Big Stick and the other is what I remember was called a Gator Whip. One of them is 102” and the other 8’

The Amazers (CB-50 and come ONLY in gray & 8’) were called a "Triple Quarter Wave" because they had 3 wires. The Wheeler Dealer (CB-28 in three colors, Black, Orange & White) had a single wire.

Many people confused the term, "Triple Quarter Wave" with 3/4 wave. NO! It is only a 1/4 wave antenna, but with 3-wires.

Barjan owns Francis and Wilson. Both the CB-28 and CB-50 have 1-wire now because of simplicity of manufacturing. They will no longer be available or they have stopped already.

Two thoughts of reason why Barjan has stopped producing the CB-50 & CB-28.
1) Because of the cost of shipping!
2) Unable to manufacture them to the same quality standards and had problems with the studs falling apart from the bottom of the glass shafts.

My opinion is they had too many complaints of the poor quality and no longer worked as Francis designed them so the sales went down.

The Quality usually suffers when a company is bought out so Frances and Wilson Antennas are going or down the drain. So buy up all the older ones you find before they are all gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MysteryMan on June 19th, 2009, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi,

I loved the Francis CB-50. The advantage over the CB-28 is the Amazer CB-50 propagated from the top. They did have a run of bad antennas because they changed the type of bounding cement for the antenna. They have since returned to the original cement, but have stopped making a the 8 ft Francis, both the CB-28 and the CB-50.

I think it was due to the S&H of the 8 ft antenna. Anything over 8 feet had an additional shipping fee. I think it was a mistake to discontinue the Francis 8 footers. I had great performance with my CB-50. I still have one left. I would take the Francis over 102" of stainless. I know I am going to catch flack for that statement. :icon_e_smile:
Respectfully as always,

Rick
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Hey, TheCBDoctor

I found this old Flyer or form from Francis in my pile of stuff. Form 1176.

[Please login or register to view this link]

I am, the Original Mystery Man from 1969 from Irvine California until May 1983. I joined the US ARMY 82nd ABN. Then became a Ham in 1987.
TheCBDoctor
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by TheCBDoctor »

Hi MysteryMan,

I appreciate the info on the Francis. The worst thing that they could have done is discontinue the CB-50. They worked great on Vans because they radiated from the top of the antenna. The result was no interference from being close to the side of the van. I can not tell you how many times the CB-50 made an SWR nightmare into a 1 to 1 SWR.

I agree the substitution of the bounding cement was their downfall. They have since returned to the original cement. The Francis antenna is still my choice when it comes to fixing a high SWR on an 18 wheeler. If for any reason they should have continued the CB-50 should have been for Vans.

Many operators feel that it is the radio that is the most important part of a radio system. It is in fact the antenna that will determine if one makes the trip. If I had known that they were to be discontinued I would have bought as many as I could. I do have one left for myself if I ever need one.

Good research on your part, the spec sheets makes sense on why they worked so well.

Rick
Respectfully as always,

Rick
MysteryMan
Duckplucker
Duckplucker

Post by MysteryMan »

Rick,

Thanks.

I know what you mean. I should have bought a bunch when Ron's place called Ratchet Jaw on Tustin St Orange, CA closed down many years ago, I had an opportunity to buy up all kids of stuff and some were the stock of Amazers. I have 3 that are in perfect condition. Not sure when I will use them again.

They should open up a MFG place on the East Cost someplace and make the Amazers again. In fact, All the other fiberglass whips should go off the market and only the Amazers should be sold... lol Why buy a POS when you could have the Best!

I agree, the antenna is whats going to get the job done, not the radio.

~Steve
chrisbama351
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by chrisbama351 »

MysteryMan wrote: June 5th, 2009, 1:08 pm
The Amazers (CB-50 and come ONLY in gray & 8’) were called a "Triple Quarter Wave" because they had 3 wires. The Wheeler Dealer (CB-28 in three colors, Black, Orange & White) had a single wire.

Many people confused the term, "Triple Quarter Wave" with 3/4 wave. NO! It is only a 1/4 wave antenna, but with 3-wires.

Two thoughts of reason why Barjan has stopped producing the CB-50 & CB-28.
1) Because of the cost of shipping!
2) Unable to manufacture them to the same quality standards and had problems with the studs falling apart from the bottom of the glass shafts.

The Quality usually suffers when a company is bought out so Frances and Wilson Antennas are going or down the drain. So buy up all the older ones you find before they are all gone.
The Francis Amazers Rocked! I thought the Amazer (gray) was 98" as the other fiberglass antennas were 96" and ss is 102" or 108". I also thought it was considered a 5/8 wave? Shipping is just passed along to the costumer so wouldn't effect profit only sales.
TheCBDoctor wrote: June 5th, 2009, 2:08 pm Hi,

I loved the Francis CB-50. I had great performance with my CB-50. I still have one left. I would take the Francis over 102" of stainless. I know I am going to catch flack for that statement. :icon_e_smile:
I loved the Francis Amazer too!!! I only use the ss 102" because they no longer make the Amazer. I would run an Amazer over Any antenna! (on a mobile)
MysteryMan wrote: June 19th, 2009, 2:48 pm Hey, TheCBDoctor

I found this old Flyer or form from Francis in my pile of stuff. Form 1176.

Do You still have those flyer images You posted? I would Love to see them.
TheCBDoctor wrote: June 19th, 2009, 8:22 pm Hi MysteryMan,

I appreciate the info on the Francis. The worst thing that they could have done is discontinue the CB-50.

Many operators feel that it is the radio that is the most important part of a radio system. It is in fact the antenna that will determine if one makes the trip. If I had known that they were to be discontinued I would have bought as many as I could. I do have one left for myself if I ever need one.

Good research on your part, the spec sheets makes sense on why they worked so well.

Rick
I agree They should have never discontinued the Francis Amazer. They discontinued the most important part of my system! I would have been in a bidding war with all You guys over the last few. lol I wish I had a couple Amazers to put to use today!

quote=MysteryMan post_id=237327 time=1245474950 user_id=4906]

I know what you mean. I should have bought a bunch when Ron's place called Ratchet Jaw on Tustin St Orange, CA closed down many years ago, I had an opportunity to buy up all kids of stuff and some were the stock of Amazers. I have 3 that are in perfect condition. Not sure when I will use them again.

They should open up a MFG place on the East Cost someplace and make the Amazers again. In fact, All the other fiberglass whips should go off the market and only the Amazers should be sold... lol Why buy a POS when you could have the Best!

I agree, the antenna is whats going to get the job done, not the radio.

~Steve
[/quote]

I wish we could get someone to manufacture Francis Amazers again!!! I have to think the copyright ran out by now. They could advertise ahead of time, take preorders, and just make what is pre purchased once a year. They could do there normal thing the rest of the year? Or if we had enough orders we could have Amazers manufactured just for our orders?
I want another couple Amazers!
ala"Bama" 351 Colorado