CB System Not Working Properly

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
jr1956
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: 405

CB System Not Working Properly

Post by jr1956 »

My CB system is not working properly. I purchased a used CBS-500 Cherokee CB, a new ProComm Proton (PT99) antenna and new 50' of Low Loss Double Shield Coax Cable RG213U Type Non-contaminating, w PL259 all purchased on Ebay. I mounted the antenna so the base of the antenna is about 17' and the antenna adds 18' 6".

Now I can only take the sellers word that the Cherokee CB works!! When I hook the system up, I do not get any sound (tried headphones and still no sound). When I hook up the SWR meter, the reading is 3. I know this should be around 1.

How can I step by step run through my gear to figure out where the trouble or troubles are occurring?
Windwalker
Handle: Windwalker
Call Sign: KD8QHS
Antenna: K-40// Hustler MagMnt
Radio: Cherida S890

Re: CB System Not Working Properly

Post by Windwalker »

Greetings
I would check the mic first. If there is no mic or the radio thinks there is no mic you will not get receive in the speakers.
I would also message the seller and complain !! They may try to telll you to return it and not want to send you a shipping label. If you contact Ebay they will automatically give you a shipping label to send it back no matter what the seller says. Even if the listing says no returns... As for the high SWR readings..
Adjust the antenna ( probably many times ) Check for good and tight connections and look for moisture in bad places
like the connectors and so on. Look for frayed wires and make sure all your connections are clean. Check the connections from the coax to the PL259

connectors and the connections from the PL259's to the antenna and radio. The shielding must be in place all the way up to the connectors with no bare wiring anywhere.
All this is just a start to finding the problems but hopefully it works !!
Again me personally I would check the mic first and go from there.

WW1
jr1956
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by jr1956 »

Not clear how to check the mic. So if the mic, when keyed changes the included signal/tx power meter and the SWR meter, does that check the mic?
Windwalker
Radio: Cherida S890

Post by Windwalker »

You probably dont have the equipment to check the mic so you will have to get another one that you know is working and try that

WW1
jr1956
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by jr1956 »

Ok Thank you.
Windwalker