amp in or out

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
skeeter
Donor
Donor

amp in or out

Post by skeeter »

i got my new 16pill hooked up but i cant tell witch side of the amp is for the antenna and witch is for the radio coax can anyone tell my by looking?
livin life one-lap-at-a-time.
skeeter in the southeastern buckeye wavin a hand from the driver seat of the mudduck mobile.
linx

Post by linx »

The output should be the 239 closest to the power wires. Look inside and the input should have a small capacitor (usually around a 15pf silver mica cap) connected directly to the center pin of the SO239 along with another wire going to the relay. Output will only have one wire on it, going directly to the relay. So, input 2 wires, output one wire.
busman
Donor
Donor

Post by busman »

I HAD THAT SAME PROBLEM AND THE FOLKS HERE WERE RIGHT. 239 CLOSEST TO THE POWER WIRES WAS INDEED THE OUT OR ANTENNA HOOK UP. I STUMBLED ON TO A METHOD WHILE DOING THIS. IF YOUR AMP HAPPENS TO HAVE A RECEIVE AMP, TURN IT ON BEFORE YOU KEY UP. IF ITS HOOKED UP RIGHT IT WILL SHOW MORE S UNITS OF NOISE. IF THE IN AND OUT ARE BACKWARDS, THE RECEIVE WILL BE WORSE. OR THE NEEDLE GOES BACKWARD. IT WORKS TO CAUSE IT HAPPENED TO ME AND I JUST HAPPENED TO TRY THE PRE AMP FIRST. THE NEEDLE SWUNG BACKWARDS. AND THE OUT WAS INDEED THE CLOSIST ONE TO THE POWER WIRE.
Sverucci2
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by Sverucci2 »

What would happen to the amp or radio if it was used with the radio/antenna wires reversed?

Post Merge Complete

Added 17 minutes 38 seconds after previous.
What would happen to the amp or radio if it was used with the radio/antenna wires reversed?
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

What would happen is the amp would not key up as the wattage is going through the relay will not go to the switching circuit. Damage can occur to both depending on the type of amplifier.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department