Has Anyone Set Up Echo Link?

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Handle: De_Wildfire
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Has Anyone Set Up Echo Link?

Post by De_Wildfire »

Has anyone set up Echo Link on two meters from their base station and linked it to a local repeater? I'm trying to understand how to get it working so I can get into it when I am out of range.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Re: Has Anyone Set Up Echo Link?

Post by MDYoungblood »

I have used it in the past to connect with the guys on the 2m net in Baltimore, had some coaching from one of them but it's all a blur now. Maybe this winter I will sit down and try again.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor
Antenna: Imax 2000. Hex Beam, G5RV dipole, Jpole(UHF/VHF) Austin Suburban Tri Band (UHF/VHF)
Radio: Washington, Tram D201, Tram D64, Robyn 520D, Cobra 139XLR, Elecraft K3S, Kenwood 590S, Yaesu FTM 400DR, Alinco DR-235, ADI-146

Post by De_Wildfire »

The Echo Link is easy from the pc to connect to any repeater but I'm guessing I will have to try to understand the setting up the "node." If you get it off the ground, please pass any info to me. Thanks.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Possibly this winter I'll have time to mess with it again. I remember now that I was using it for a 1.25m net we were doing when I lived in Baltimore, it was because at the time I didn't have a radio capable of that band, I do now.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

Let me know how it goes when you look at it this winter. It appears I may have to set up a separate station just for Echo Link and its own antenna. That would have to be away from the shack where there is distractions. I was going to use it for those who can't get into the repeater or are traveling and want to check into the nets. I guess it would be called a remote hub or node that I would link to the repeater. People could use their pc's or cell phones to connect to my node and then link it to the repeater. It really sounds like a lot of testing and tuning to get it right. There is an Echo Link APP on the IOS and Android phones.
Gold Diamond
Donor
Donor
Handle: Gold Diamond
Call Sign: KE0UWN
Antenna: HF Alpha HD-FMJ tripod mounted, Diamond X100A
Radio: HF Yaesu FT-891, Yaesu FTM-100D (VHF/UHF), President McKinley CB

Post by Gold Diamond »

Yes. I use my EchoLink with my Yaesu Ft-891 when using FT8 mode.