Chevy Avalanche/Cadillac Escalade EXT

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
Shaft
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Shaft

Chevy Avalanche/Cadillac Escalade EXT

Post by Shaft »

Anyone done an antenna on one of those trucks? I'm looking at getting one and mounting my antenna on the toneau cover. Roof mount won't be an option because of the sunroof.
Windwalker
Handle: Windwalker
Call Sign: KD8QHS
Antenna: K-40// Hustler MagMnt
Radio: Cherida S890

Re: Chevy Avalanche/Cadillac Escalade EXT

Post by Windwalker »

Hi Shaft
Maybe you could post this topic in the antenna help section here
viewforum.php?f=5
or in the mobile set up section here
viewforum.php?f=20
This should get better results in getting help and suggestions.
Thanx much !
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

For those vehicles this might be the best setup, Jesse seems to be having good luck with it.

viewtopic.php?t=54507

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Bozo
Owner
Owner
Handle: Bozo The Clown
Antenna: Monkey Made MM9
Radio: General Lee Radio

Post by Bozo »

ChevyAvalancheCadillacEscaladeEXT.JPG
Hey @Shaft

I’ve helped on a couple installations on trucks like these for friends, and while the roof isn’t ideal cuz of the sunroof, the tonneau cover is definitely an option. Here’s what I’ve found works best, plus a step-by-step guide to help you out:

1. Grounnd Plane Considerations
Since the tonneau cover is probably not metallic, it won’t provide a natural ground plane for your antenna. You’ve got two main options:
  • Use a no-ground-plane (NGP) antenna designed for vehicles with composite materials.
  • Install a ground strap to the nearest metal part of the truck (like the bed or frame). This will improve performance if you want to use a regular CB antenna.

2. Choosing the Right Mount
A magnetic mount won’t work on the tonneau cover since it’s non-metallic. You’ll need to go with a drill-through or bracket-style mount. Here’s what you could use:
  • Bracket mount: You can attach this to the edge of the tonneau cover without too much modification. Just make sure it’s low profile so it doesn’t get in the way.
  • Stake pocket mount: If you don’t wanna mess with the tonneau cover directly, this one mounts to the stake pocket on the bed. It’s pretty solid and doesn’t need any drilling into the body.

3. Routing the Coax Cable
You gotta route the coax cable carefully. Avoid pinching the cable between the tonneau and the bed. Running it through the cab is probably the cleanest option to keep it protected from weather. You could use a grommet to make it look more professional.

4. Antenna Height
Since you’re mounting lower than the roof, you might need a taller antenna to get good performance. Here’s what I’d suggest:
  • A 4-foot fiberglass whip should give you good range without being too tall. If you drive in low-clearance areas, think about using a folding antenna so you can drop it when needed.
  • If you’re not a fan of fiberglass, you could try a stainless steel whip. It’s more rigid tho, so keep that in mind if you do any off-roading.

5. Installation Step-by-Step
Here’s a quick guide to get your antenna installed:

Step 1: Choose the Mount Location
- Decide if you’re gonna use a bracket or stake pocket mount. If you're using the tonneau cover, make sure it can hold the weight of the mount.

Step 2: Drill the Mount
- Carefully mark and drill the holes on the tonneau cover or truck bed. Use weather-resistant screws and sealant to avoid rust or leaks.

Step 3: Attach the Antenna
- Install the antenna onto the mount. Make sure it’s tight but don’t over-tighten it. That can damage it over time.

Step 4: Route the Coax Cable
- Run the coax through the cab, and try to avoid tight bends or pinches. Secure it with zip ties and weatherproof any sections that are exposed.

Step 5: Tune the Antenna
- Once it’s installed, use an SWR meter to check the signal and adjust if needed. Aim for a reading close to 1:1 for the best performance.

That should get you all set up with a good install!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Donate here

Shaft
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK
Handle: Shaft

Post by Shaft »

What I am thinking about doing is since the toneau cover sections are removable, that is to buy an extra set of them. On of them I mount the antenna too. Basically just do it like I would a roofmount antenna, with a sawblade as a washer. I'm a car audio guys so routing a coax and a ground strap won't be a problem. And height is definitely might. I still have a Predator 10k antenna that has a mast that should get the coil over the height of the roof line.
MDYoungblood
Site Admin
Site Admin
Handle: MDYoungblood
Antenna: HyGain AV-6160
Radio: Icom IC-746 (non pro)

Post by MDYoungblood »

Since the toneau is plastic you can use either copper strapping, I found some that is adhesive on one side to the under side to make a ground plane or Home Depot has a stainless steel tape that would work as well, you already know about bonding everything.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department