best moblie radio for ssb?

Whether you're new to using single sideband (SSB) or have years of experience, this forum is the perfect place to ask your questions or provide assistance to those who are new.
mudder

Post by mudder »

what moblie radio do you think is the best one for side band?
Glorfendill

Post by Glorfendill »

Well I can't say I know... but I'm hopeing my SWP Galaxy 99v is at least a good one ;-)
Working Cowboy

Post by Working Cowboy »

The 99 is great for it I have also been very happy with my SWP GEN LEE but in all honesty I dont do it very much at all.

Post by Guest »

rci 2950 is a good ssber
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

RCI 2950 is the best SSB radio on the market. Sorry the 99V is only a so-so SSB radio. On AM 99Vs excel.
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

Hey RA, how about the RCI 2995DX? Good or bad on SSB?
Mr RadioActive

Post by Mr RadioActive »

As per RCI the 2995DX is going through some changes RIGHT NOW! The power supply in that radio has always been its weakest link. The radios great all round, for am/ssb but the power supply has always stunk!
HOWEVER, RCI is RIGHT NOW (YEAAAAAA!) changing the power supply. All new RCI 2995s after may will include a new upgraded power supply.
This base is a great SSB radio. However the stability on SSB I'd think will improve alot with more steady voltage. This is a great thing RCI has done!!!

PS: THE RCI 2985DX HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AGAIN, per RCI. Too bad this GREAT base has seen so few sales, its a great radio!
BobOstro61

Post by BobOstro61 »

DAMN!!!! I wonder if the one I'm getting from the raffle is going to have the new power supply or the crappy one! How do I tell which is good and which is bad one??
Phaze91460

Post by Phaze91460 »

Wait wait, I know this one !

The best one is the one you are using now ! everything else is just wishful thinkin !

Post by Guest »

Phaze91460 wrote:best moblie radio for ssb?

Wait wait, I know this one !

The best one is the one you are using now ! everything else is just wishful thinkin !
lol
elbuho

Post by elbuho »

I have a SuperStar 3900 and it is a great sidebander :Peace!:
Jiggaman

SSB Mobiles

Post by Jiggaman »

I have run all these radios in my 2004 gmc pickup truck during a pennsylvania winter with good power and antenna systems, battery and alternator.. (For the technical experts)

Galaxy 949, 959, 979, 88, 99v and a Superstar 3900 gold high power. Out of all these radios, transmit and receive were acceptable but occasional clarifier adjustments were required long after the truck and radio were warmed up..

I also ran a president 2510 and a rci2950. These radios were fabulous for ssb from cold to warm. Maybe one minor clarifier adjustment as the radio warmed up but nothing more.. These two radios I would really recommend for ssb mobile..
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

Good to hear from ya again jiggaman.
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Is the clarifier only for sideband use ?
Jiggaman

sfdandlnfslifdki

Post by Jiggaman »

Clarifier can be used for am also but it is imperative for sideband use..

AM clarifier is a much more broad tuning. You can communicate and sound normal as long as you are sort of close to frequency with the clarifier.

SSB tuning is usually very close and touchy. I'm sure you know how just the slightest drift makes it hard to understand someone on sideband.
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Thanks JiggaMan. Going to be setting up a base station soon. Havent done much side banding but i think i want the radio in the house to have that feature. :twisted:
Jiggaman

Post by Jiggaman »

Its nice to have in the house. I have more things to do in the mobile than fool with sideband usually, but I do use it often in the house..
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

What unit you runnin for the base ? Im still in the market for one.
Jiggaman

Post by Jiggaman »

I am running a superstar 3900 Gold High Power (mobile radio) with an astatic M6B hand power mic, powered by a pyramid 26 amp power supply. My antenna is a home made PVC pipe and speaker wire creation that sticks out of the top of one of my trees on the hill.

I have an old galaxy base and a tram base that are both in a million pieces right now but I am working on them. Then I will have a few things to run up here..
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

8) Sweet.. Hope to have my system figured out and ordered in the next few days. All i have now is the Antron.
Jiggaman

Post by Jiggaman »

antron is good. I have one of those bolted to the house and it works..

nothing beats popping an antenna out of the top of a tree though.

Materials required:
coax connector out of the back of an old cb.
solder and iron
electrical tape
(2) 102" pieces of speaker or house wire
30' or so of pvc pipe and fittings
fishing line
rope
bow and arrow
enough coax cable to get back down the tree and into the house.

Use your creativity and have at it lol.
Rex_foxhound

Post by Rex_foxhound »

Is the bow and arrow used for shooting the squirrels that are in the tree? lol

Hey jiggaman, if you get a chance pm me the instructions on what exactly to do with that stuff. I need to get a base antenna up and that isn't too expensive. I also have a lot of tall oak trees next to my room which would be perfect if I can find a way to get up one.
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Lol thats tight. Dont have big enough tree's in my area for that. Would be nice though. The roof of my house is pretty much the highest thing thats close around. Wouldnt mind trying to make one for when out camping.
Jiggaman

hjblkijublkbk

Post by Jiggaman »

Ok I'll email instructions and pictures so you can see what is going on.

Honestly I spent less than $30 on a kick **Censored** base station antenna and it was fun building it. The most expensive part of the project was the antenna coax cable. You could build 2 or 3 of these pvc pipe dipoles for the cost of an antron and you will never get an antron to stick out of the top of a tree using only rope.. Like you can do with the dipole..
Gixxer

Post by Gixxer »

Awesome thanks. :twisted: