1st HT, so many choices, which one!

This forum is dedicated to discussions about amateur radios, FM radios, and other types of radios excluding CB. Here, you can learn, share experiences, assist fellow members, or simply have fun.
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

1st HT, so many choices, which one!

Post by Jbones »

Take Technician test in couple weeks.

Started looking at which HT to start with. Kenwood TH-D74A, someday. Nice radio!

For now looking at:
[Please login or register to view this link]

Didn’t like reviews on [Please login or register to view this link] radios, I could be wrong. But lookin for a tri-band. Have a few 220 repeaters in area.

Btech seems to be less dirty, better harmonics ( if that’s how you say it?) than Woxum or Tyt from what I saw on videos. I understand the Japanese radios like Yaesu are better all around.

Recommendations?
On a budget because need to put new tires on the 4Runner also.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

My first was at the time a top of the line Kenwood HT, almost $500 for it, was using it on a day that was extremely bad weather and thought to myself what happens if I drop it in water or what is the rain doing to it??? After that I bought a Baofeng UR5+plus, for $20, don't mind taking it out and if I drop or lose it, que sera, sera. The Btech is a good choice. I've heard problems with the TYT but a local had one and sounds fine to me. We have a 220 net so I bought a Radioddity QB25, seems to be doing okay.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

Thanks. Good Advice.

Something in HT less expensive, than pay more for a base / mobile later.
BikePacker
Donor
Donor

Post by BikePacker »

Jbones wrote: January 5th, 2021, 3:06 pm Recommendations?
Based upon whatever research you would wish to do to find the one you conclude is
1. The easiest to remember how to use,
2. Which includes a written in USA ENGLISH / clearly written user manual.
What if the "hokie-pokie" really is "...what it's all about!" ? ? ?
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

Read a few, all are a bit confusing at my experience level. Something I’ll have to get use to I’m sure. The Yaesu VX-6R seems a user to read and program than the Btech UV-5x3.

But than doesn’t Chirp made it easier?
BikePacker
Donor
Donor

Post by BikePacker »

Jbones wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:40 pm doesn’t Chirp made it easier?
I see / hear decent reviews on Chirp.
Never used it.
4w/eiiw, i happily use RT SYSTEMS INC

[mod=Bozo] Link removed per [Please login or register to view this link] [/mod]which lotsa folks do not like cause it costs some $ honey.
RT does make it easier and i would anticipate that Chirp would help simplify as well ...
Only offerin' that IF you can find the best user manual for you,
it will make life that much more enjoyable every time you put your HT to use than otherwise ....
regardless of how much lipstick we apply to the piggie : ).
What if the "hokie-pokie" really is "...what it's all about!" ? ? ?
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

If the HT allows the use of CHIRP than programming is easy (and free), would just have to get the proper programming cable. Not sure about the Yaesu, you might need a program like RT-Systems to set it up with frequencies.

3's

Greg

Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

Appears Yaesu 6R uses RT on windows versions.

Boefeng I read can use CHIRP, or a Boefeng software.

I could but 3 Boefengs for the price of 1 Yaesu 6R 🤣. Maybe that’s a sign to but the Yaesu!

Donate here

Merge Complete

Added 1 day 41 minutes 36 seconds after previous.
I say, the more I look the more I find, now I’m liking the Btech DMR 6x2 HT. Ha!
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

A DMR HT is nice, you can get a hotspot (MMDVM) and link to the world via the internet, that is what a lot of op's are doing if they live in a strict HOA community. Others to look at would be the Icom's with D-Star and the Yaesu's with C4FM. I would say then it is worth the added expense but I'd still get a cheap HT for outside.

3's

Greg

Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

The 4CFM looks nice, I do plan on getting a mobile and converter later to use as a base. 50watts is my max I think, don’t want to give neighbors any interference on their direct tv dishes, if would, I haven’t researched that. In a HOA condo community, all the units are so close. Luckily no antenna restrictions.

Back on HT’s. Got big hands. Need one I don’t drop as often as I drop my cell phone 😀

Donate here

Merge Complete

Added 1 day 7 hours 7 minutes 55 seconds after previous.
I think I’ve narrowed it down to the proven FT-60R, price is right and seems like a great 1st radio. I’ve read so many reviews, hard to find much negative on the radio.
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

I have a Baofeng UV-5R and it is ok for what it is. If you are looking for a HT that will last and give you years of use, I would lean towards the Yaesu from your list. I use my Baofeng for when I am out on the tractor bushhogging with the earbud in, mowing with the zero turn, in the boat fishing, I would rather destroy a $30 HT than a $130 HT. But for one that I will take care of I would get a better quality if the money is there to do so. If not, work with what you can get.
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

I watched several YouTube on the UV- 5R, the spurious emissions scared me off. I saw one on the Btech UV-5x3, it seemed to pass FCC standards, but only found one video of it being tested. I knew few if any at are part 97 certified. I know there are tons of the Cheaper imports out there, haven’t heard anyone say that had complaints from others or FCC.

Being new and entering into ham, a little cautious I guess.

I still haven’t ruled out the 5x3 or the VX-6R, the other two on my list. Wish I could testing videos on those 2 , I don’t believe either of them are part 97 either. Try to avoid a dirty radio, and have I budget, it’s tough.

Have a few more weeks, my test isn’t till the 24th of January.
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Jbones wrote: January 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm I watched several YouTube on the UV- 5R, the spurious emissions scared me off. I saw one on the Btech UV-5x3, it seemed to pass FCC standards, but only found one video of it being tested. I knew few if any at are part 97 certified. I know there are tons of the Cheaper imports out there, haven’t heard anyone say that had complaints from others or FCC.

Being new and entering into ham, a little cautious I guess.

I still haven’t ruled out the 5x3 or the VX-6R, the other two on my list. Wish I could testing videos on those 2 , I don’t believe either of them are part 97 either. Try to avoid a dirty radio, and have I budget, it’s tough.

Have a few more weeks, my test isn’t till the 24th of January.
The 5x3 looks identical to my baofeng up-5r. Literally like a rebrand of the same radio. Maybe it has been upgraded but I highly doubt it being a China radio. Just my .02 on it. Not trying to discourage you from it if it what your budget allows, heck I have it. Just being honest.
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

Which software did you use to program, or did you do manually
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

I used Chirp software to program it initially but I did learn how to program in Repeaters from the face. It takes a little work and a few tries but you can program it manually. Chirp is much easier though.
Jbones
6 PILL USER
6 PILL USER

Post by Jbones »

I recall seeing a YouTube on having to manually program off set separately, if doing manually unlike some higher end radios were It automatically recognized.

But you can enter that in chirp, right?
Punkin Head

Post by Punkin Head »

Yea if I remember correctly programming with chirp you can set offsets and everything. It’s been a few years since I programmed mine that way.